More Style, Less Stress: Healthy Eating
I have a quick story for you…
I was in a client’s closet this time last year chatting about winter clothes, tall boots, and holiday party ensembles. All things fun and fabulous.
But then real life hit us both like a ton of bricks. She received a phone call during our session from her doctor that her recent blood work wasn’t clean & clear.
She had cancer.
She was a planner..and this was NOT part of her plan or to do list. She worked hard at her job, took care of her husband and family, and was very involved in her community. And while, with my help, she took care of her outward appearance, she wasn’t really listening to her body.
Her body has been telling her for years to slow down. To not let life pass her by. To stop and truly relax.
But she told me that she always said, “One day I’ll take more time for myself. One day I’ll do things for me”.
That day almost never came. But through tons of self care, incredible medical help, a loving family and her faith, she beat cancer.
Today, my friend emphasizes the importance of self-care to me and tells me that her experience with cancer was a wake-up call to prioritize her health. She advises her girlfriends to take care of themselves first and foremost, as without proper self-care, they may not be able to provide support and love to their friends and family. If you’re looking to take better care of your health, you may want to consider visiting an urgent care clinic Baychester for personalized care and advice.
Why am I telling you this story about my incredible client?
Because I care about you. I want you to live life to the fullest, and really tune into yourself and listen to your body. And one way to get more in touch with YOU this holiday season is through self-care.
I hope my “More Style, Less Stress” video series has inspired you to live the life you deserve. And that includes nourishing yourself with the right food.
With the help of Integrative Nutrition Coach, Emilie Maynor, I am sharing 3 simple (but important) ways to take better care of YOU this holiday season and avoid the holiday weight gain. Simply click below to take time for you and your health:
Here are a few of Emilie’s favorite breakfast recipes to kick your day off in style & health:
Smoothie Building Blocks
1. Choose a creamy base: banana, mango, peach
2. Choose a complimentary flavored fruit: apple, pear, berries, citrus
3. Add 1-2 handfuls of greens *if you are worried about it tasting green, start with a small handful and work your way up!
4. Choose an unsweet liquid: water, coconut water, almond milk, coconut milk
5. Blend your HEART out!
- Less is more. The best smoothies are the simple ones. You don’t need 10 different fruits and veggies to have a nutrient dense and flavorful smoothies. My favorite recipes usually include 3-5 ingredients.
- Consider your nutrients. Greens + Protein + Healthy Fats
- Greens: spinach & chard have a mild flavor = beginner friendly! Start there. If you prefer greens powder, Athletic Greens AG1 Greens Powder is a great option.
- Protein: my favorite protein powder, hemp seeds, chia seeds, whole food nut butters, full fat greek yogurt
- Healthy Fats: avocado or coconut oil are great to start with.
- Don’t make a sugar BOMB!
- 30%-40% greens + 60%-70% low glycemic fruits is a good starting place.
- Added sweeteners should be natural (raw honey, maple syrup) and used sparingly.
Overnight Oats – By KERF
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 – 1/2 cup milk [depending on how thick you like it]
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
Stir everything together in a bowl. Place in fridge overnight. In the morning top with something crunchy and something with healthy fats – like nut butter or nuts.
Have a stylish, healthy and happy holiday season! I look forward to connecting in January to help make 2016 your most fabulous year yet!
Yours in Style,
P.S. Missed the first two videos of the “More Style, Less Stress” video series?? No worries! Simply click HERE to access the first video on how to really relax this holiday season AND click HERE to access the second video on packing like a pro for all of your winter vacations! Enjoy!